Brighter, whiter smiles for only £295.
- Simple, safe and reliable
- Affordable home treatment
- Select a shade to suite you
Why do I need tooth whitening?
Professional tooth whitening kits provide the perfect solution to brightening the natural colour of your teeth without damaging the tooth surface. Over time the many factors such as tea, coffee and red wine stains, smoking, poor oral hygiene and ageing all contribute to the discolouration of your teeth. Our simple to use home kits can help turn back time and offer a cost effective way to return the brightness back to your smile.
How does it work?
The home bleaching procedure is very simple and involves wearing a custom made tray containing a carbamide peroxide gel over your teeth at night. The trays are normally worn for about two weeks but this depends entirely on you. The more nights you wear them the lighter the shade becomes so you can choose stop at any time when the colour is right for you. The trays can also be kept and the whitening can be topped up at any time in the future with additional gels so that you can stay brighter for longer with very little extra cost.
Is it safe?
Yes, if prescribed by a trained dental practitioner who will always take your overall oral health into account before recommending the treatment. Regulations state that bleaching should only be performed by dental professionals and on patients over 18. For more information please visit The Tooth Whitening Information Group – TWIG. The following information has been provided so that you can make an informed decision regarding whether or not to undergo a dental bleaching procedure.
Tooth whitening is suitable for:
- Naturally occurring yellow teeth
- Superficial stains
- Penetrating and absorbed stains
- Age-related stains
- Nicotine stains
- Chromogenic food/drink stains
- Tetracycline staining (mild to moderate)
- Fluorosis staining (mild to moderate)
Benefits of home bleaching
- High success rates
- Ease of use
- Patient convenience
- Customisable to patient
- Easy re-treatment
Research to date has not shown there to be any serious adverse or systemic effects associated with home tooth bleaching however, as with most treatments, there are risks as well as benefits.
- Tooth sensitivity to hot/cold temperatures (usually settles 24 hrs post-treatment, in rare cases can last for longer)
- Gum irritation to the carbamide peroxide gel
- Soft tissue irritation from bleaching tray pressure
- Sore throat or nausea from swallowing bleaching gel
- Minor tooth pressure from tight fitting bleaching trays
- Failure of teeth to bleach
- Possible white spots on teeth of patients who have had braces or who have more porous spots on their teeth
- Colour change of adjacent teeth that you do not want bleached
- Aggravation of the temporo-mandibular joint (TMJ) in those who are susceptible
- Taste disturbance (usually temporary)
Research has shown that home bleaching whitens teeth in 98% cases, however there is no reliable way to predict how your teeth will lighten. Everyone’s teeth are different and therefore we cannot guarantee the outcome. Bleaching treatments only whiten tooth structure and will not whiten artificial teeth, crowns, bridges, veneers or filling materials. Teeth with dark bands and spots from tetracycline staining or fluorosis may not whiten as well or at all. Research shows an 86% success rate for whitening teeth with tetracycline staining.
As your teeth are exposed to various staining agents over time there may be a gradual tendency for your teeth to return to a darker shade post bleaching. To maintain your desired result, re-treatment may be necessary in the future. For example, you may want to repeat the bleaching procedure for 1 week every 1-2 years. Keep your trays as they may fit in the future however it is possible that you may need new trays especially if you have had extensive dental treatment since. It is necessary to wait at least 2 weeks after bleaching before having any composite fillings placed or crowns/bridges/veneers cemented. This is due to a reduced bonding ability to the tooth and to allow stability of the tooth shade.
Alternative treatment options
Other treatment options to be considered are:
- Direct composites
- In surgery bleaching (Power Bleaching)
If you suffer from regular tooth sensitivity make your dentist aware before bleaching your teeth. If you know of an allergy or adverse reaction to any of the ingredients in the bleaching gel do not undergo treatment. If you experience an allergy or adverse reaction during treatment, discontinue use and contact your dentist immediately. Bleaching is not recommended for patients who are pregnant, trying to get pregnant or breast-feeding.
Instructions for home bleaching
(Please read the manufacturer’s patient instructions leaflet before using the bleach.)
- Brush your teeth with a fluoride toothpaste and floss in between your teeth.
- Twist off the plastic cap from the syringe containing the bleach.
- Twist the mixing tip onto the syringe until it locks into place.
- Place a small drop of gel, approx 1-2mm, into each compartment of the tray for each tooth undergoing bleaching.
IMPORTANT: Do not overload the trays with gel
- Once finished placing the gel in the trays, remove the mixing tip and replace the plastic cap on the syringe.
- Seat the tray in the mouth ensuring not to push the gel out of the tray. Bubbling within the tray is normal.
- Wipe away excess gel with a swab, cotton bud or cotton wool roll.
- Wear the tray overnight for 6-8 hours.
- After treatment, remove the tray, and brush away the excess gel with a soft toothbrush and luke warm water. Store in a cool, dry place.
IMPORTANT: Avoid too hot water as this may distort the tray.
- Rinse mouth with lukewarm water and then brush teeth with fluoride toothpaste.
- Repeat the procedure so that the teeth are bleached for a total of 14 consecutive nights.
- Arrange a review appointment with your dentist to review the degree of colour change.
Customising your treatment:
If you suffer from sensitivity you may want to reduce bleaching times to every second or third night. If you are bleaching both upper and lower teeth and you find wearing both trays uncomfortable, you may want to bleach the upper teeth first and then address the lower teeth. These modifications will lengthen the time to achieve your desired result but may make your treatment more comfortable.
If you have sensitive teeth it is advised that you use a desensitising toothpaste for 3 weeks prior to bleaching. You may also benefit from wearing the tray containing a desensitising toothpaste (NOT containing sodium-lauryl-sulphate) for 2 hours before or after the bleaching procedure. The desensitising toothpaste recommended is Sensodyne Pronamel. If you suffer from gum irritation it may be that you are overloading the trays so apply less gel. If you continue to suffer with gum irritation then consult your dentist as the trays may need trimming.
If you have any concerns throughout your treatment please do not hesitate to contact your dentist.
For more information on home bleaching please see NHS Choices